Fact or Fiction?
Debunking Ghost Whisperer's 100 Ghost Rules (26-50)
Amanda Linette Meder
In this post, we continue on our journey of debunking the Ghost Whisperer’s 100 Ghost Rules. The Ghost Whisperer is a fictional television show, where the main character, Melinda, is a medium who struggles with managing her every day life and dealing with Spirit. It’s also a favorite show of my friends, family and acquaintances.
While the series has since been aired and completed, there’s lots of valid information on the show, yet many of the rules are in need of more explanation and expansion. So here, a real life medium and regular gal (me) will debunk, verify and clarify these ghost idiosyncrasies for you, step by step. If you are just joining us now, please head back to the first post and check out Ghost Rules 1-25.
100 GHOST RULES FROM 26-50
Each rule is stated exactly as the show states it, underneath is each I provide you with the thoughts of a every-day medium.
26. Melinda, and others like her, can filter out the voices of the many ghosts who surround them and focus on the most important ghost by listening with their hearts.
Yes, but this takes practice. It’s not always that easy to filter out the important messages from the noise at first. If you have trouble getting Spirits to stop talking over one another, ask them to quiet down and then ask, for one who has the most important messages to share now, to step forward. Most of the time, just calling out a single speaker, can help reduce all the surrounding noise so that you can focus on one spirit-speaker, rather than potentially thousands of individuals.
27. Ghost listeners are people like Eli James who can hear earthbound spirits but cannot see them.
I’ve never heard this term, but I suppose this is accurate. Some mediums can see Spirit, some can hear them, some can feel them. Each Spirit sensitive usually has a primary way communicate with Spirit. We can identify yours in a private session or class. My Spirit sensing way is primarily seeing, but many people can hear them. Those with either primary ability are often equal in accuracy, where a clairaudient (hearing) medium versus a clairvoyant (seeing) medium, does not determine overall ability. These are intuitive modalities.
28. Initially, a spirit's appearance can be distorted, even scary. Once they start to interact with the living, they begin to look more like they did when alive.
Yes, sometimes. Once someone starts to feel human again, and is offered compassion, love and a listening ear, they begin to soften and appear, act and feel more like the we do. All you need to do is offer compassion to a Spirit, and often, all the scariness fades away. The person, without the fear, begins to shine through.
29. Ghosts do not always retain memories from their experiences in the world of the living.
Some things are forgotten. As a medium if you can’t ‘get’ the information from a Spirit, it’s likely they may not even have it. In comparison, think about how often we forget things everyday, even things considered pertinent our everyday lives. We just flat out forget. Now think of yourself as a Spirit, now without an everyday life, lots of things become way less important to you and therefore, can be lost from soul memory. Sometimes, you have to let go of things you experienced here on Earth, in order to move on.
30. "Guardians" are spirits responsible for bringing babies to the Light when they do not have someone to meet them.
Generally, these individuals are Guardian Angels.
31. Ghosts often stay earthbound in order to help a grieving loved one heal and move on with his or her life.
Some individuals do this for a time and then when they feel the Loved One is ready, or when a Loved One formally releases them, by saying, “It’s okay for you to go, I’ll be fine,” those in Spirit will feel much more confidently about moving into the Light. This is common between parents and children and with romantic partners, when one party moves on.
32. Because of the resentment an earthbound spirit feels about his/her tragic death, the spirit can wreak havoc on the living.
I don’t agree with this statement. Not all Earthbound Spirits feel this. Those that I have encountered have expressed fear, confusion, sadness, loss or injustice, but rarely have I noticed resentment. With those that do, not all choose to ‘wreak havoc’ with their feelings, though there are some that choose to make these choices with their emotions.
33. When a person commits suicide, his/her spirit can be stuck between the worlds of the living and the dead.
I don’t agree with this statement. Many of those who, as a part of their life path, choose to take the life of their physical body, cross over into the Light nearly immediately. Where others, may go to their life review and connect with their Guides and Angels to work out their thoughts, emotions or issues around their death. This is sometimes called the ‘waiting place’, or the stuck place. Where others still, return to Earth as Spirit Guides and their job is to coach and convince people still on Earth, out of the same fate.
34. Ghosts can force visions of their death onto the living. If those memories are extremely violent, the person's life can be jeopardized.
The first part, yes. The second part, no, I don’t think so.
Those in Spirit, especially those who died alone or died of causes in which no one still living knows the answer, are often eager to share their story with someone who can empathize. There is healing in listening. Many of those in Spirit, wish to share the story of their death with another, simply to get it off their chests and to release them, from carrying the burden and the knowledge, all alone. Many ‘new’ mediums experience an abundance of visitations from those in Spirit, eager to show and share their deaths, and this can be a frightening experience, until each person learns how to set their own boundaries with Spirit.
And remember, the reason for this sharing, is not a malicious one, it’s an out reaching effort for your empathy, love and compassion for their human experience. One that they may have experienced alone.
35. Ghosts have no sense of time.
Yup. Time is a physical world limitation. This fact alone, often explains why Spirits have seemingly no boundary for visiting at night time - time of day is a physical world only thing. While your Loved Ones have lived in the physical world, they don’t now. This concept, as it’s not that important in a world with a lack of physical world responsibilities, is easy forgotten.
36. Out of body experiences occur when a person flat-lines and is resuscitated.
These experiences are often called near death experiences and yes, you, your Spirit, can move, jump or float out of your physical body, during periods of trauma. In the shamanistic tradition this is sometimes called soul loss.
37. Earthbound spirits of children tend to hang out in groups. Adult ghosts typically do not.
I have seen more children spirits in groups of 2-3 or with adult-Spirit escorts, like grandparents, than I have seen adult Spirits in groups. Generally, I see adult human Spirits by themselves, but not always. In readings, many times, your Loved Ones come together in a small, loving group.
38. Spirits can group together for a common purpose and use the strength of their numbers to interact more powerfully with the world of the living.
Just like people can. Spirits are people, remember?
39. When an extremely large group of souls crosses over together, it is possible for the living to see the Light.
If you have the ability to see clairvoyantly or have ever seen flashes of Light, you can also see the Divine Light that shines down to create the link between the Spiritual world and the Physical one. You don’t need to wait for a huge group crossing to occur, so much as you need to develop your acute awareness for un-accounted for flashes, glows or streaks of Light in the atmosphere.
40. Light spirits protect souls and help them cross over. Dark spirits are evil and collect souls to keep them earthbound.
Sigh, this is a complicated one. Light Spirits, such as those that live in the Divine Light, sometimes known as Heaven, including Spirit Guides, Angels and many Loved Ones, can and do assist in the crossing over process.
While I do believe Dark Spirits exist, I don’t necessarily believe they can be classified as evil, participating in acts of mal-intent, on purpose. Read my posts on Dark Spirits here.
41. If a dark spirit takes the soul of a light spirit, the dark spirit becomes invincible.
What? I don't even understand this statement. All Spirits are eternal.
42. A child ghost will often remain earthbound waiting or searching for it's parents.
Sometimes yes, but more likely a Child Spirit, crosses fully over and then returns to their parents, staying by their side, all the way through their remaining lives. Eventually, assisting their own parents in the crossing over process, when they too, are ready to return to Spirit. Sometimes, Child Spirits become Spirit Guides or Angels for their parents.
43. When a soul crosses over into the Light, the handicaps it had in life are gone. Every soul is perfect.
Yes. All physical body ailments are cured, as the physical body is left behind on earth.
44. A ghost who experienced a violent death may relive that experience while trapped as an earthbound spirit.
Yes, but as a medium, you can shake them out of it, if you see it, sense it, or feel it happening. You can provide them with clarity by telling them the current year and date, and explaining the actual situation that is going on around them while they relive the past one.
For example, if a Spirit is reliving being chased by their 200 year old killer, while you are standing in your kitchen all alone, explain to this Spirit, as though you are talking to a real person (because you are), that this is a kitchen now, that the year is 2014, and that they are no longer living. This information can help them not only calm down, but cross over.
45. Ghosts can use infrasound, a frequency that's so low we can't hear it, to make their presence felt.
Yes, this is a low frequency sound that can be felt, and hose in Spirit can also experiment with other frequencies of sound to be both heard and felt. As a side note, both Elephants and giraffes use infrasound to communicate with their friends and family a few miles across the savannah. Many humans can feel this sound vibration, too.
46. Ghosts are often confused about the way they died, blaming the wrong people for their death.
Meh, I haven’t heard a lot of blame coming from those in Spirit, so while not true for my experience, it may be true for the experience of another medium.
47. When a person is brain dead and on life support, their soul is outside the body, but still tethered to it.
Sometimes, but not always.
48. Souls are assigned new bodies when they are reincarnated.
Yes, each of us, born onto Earth as a Spirit into a physical body, are given new bodies as we emerge from within our new mothers. There’s a Spirit within each of us, the physical body, is simply the vehicle that we use and hopefully, value, here while learning and growing here on Earth.
49. Ghosts exhaust their powers when they act aggressively.
If you respond with lots of energy, such as by getting all worked up, fearful, in hysteria, or nervous, they can use the energy given off by you, to gather energy for themselves. But, if you refuse to energetically respond to any unwanted Spiritual Activity (ignore, refuse to respond, respond neutrally, etc), they will exhaust their efforts and leave.
50. A walk-in can only occur to a corpse if the spirit originally inhabiting the body abandons it.
A walk-in is when a living person, who is a Spirit within a body, ‘checks out’ of their life, and abandons their physical body, then another Spirit, steps into their old body.
This happens in cases such as trauma, addiction, hardship, or just lack of care, when a person, who is alive, decides to no longer care about their life or body. In doing this, their Spirit, separates from their body and with a vacant body, anyone can step into it.
(This caveat within a caveat is not a common occurrence).
I hope this clears some things up for you ~ stay tuned next week for the debunking and clarifying of Ghost Whisperer’s 51-75 Rules!