The Ghost Whisper is a television show about a fictional medium named Melinda.
In the show, Melinda deals with Earthbound Spirits, where she assists them in completing tasks that they would like completed, before they cross over into the Light. Melinda uses her mediumistic abilities to decipher clues, symbols and information, uncovering how she can help the Spirits she encounters.
She’s a medium struggles to deal with her regular life, while also dealing with her ability to see and hear those in Spirit.
While the television show has since been aired and completed, it remains a favorite of my friends and family, primarily because of it’s producing team: two real life spirit communicators, James Van Praagh and Mary Ann Winkowski. It’s produced with information provided by real mediums, thus, there is a lot of truth to the information provided in this fictional series.
In honor of their 100th Episode, they released a few of those truths as the “100 Ghost Rules”. As the show states, these are 100 bonafide facts that all ghosts must abide by.
In the next series of posts, you’ll get the scoop on the reality of these ghost rules, the caveats and any blogs or extra information I can provide on the topic. . . .from a real, a non-fictional, every day version of Melinda - me.
100 GHOST RULES FROM 1-25
Each rule is stated exactly as the show states it, underneath is each I provide you with the thoughts of a every-day medium.
1. Ghost whisperers like Melinda Gordon can see and communicate with earthbound spirits. They help them with unfinished business before crossing them into the light, and give closure to loved ones left behind.
Yes, many people do this who have the ability to see, hear and sense Spirit. In the field of mediumship, just as in any field, there are specific specialities that any Spirit communicator can take on, and crossing over Earth Bound Spirits is one of these medium specialities. Typically, this is speciality among Spirit Communicators is called Spirit Rescue.
2. A ghost can materialize anywhere he or she wants by concentrating on where it wants to be.
Kind of. They need energy to materialize, and while they can certainly gather energy and electrons into a certain place to appear, they need an energy source.
For Light Spirits, such as Guides, Angels and Crossed Over Loved Ones, this source is Divine Light. But for other Spirits, such as those not crossed over, their source energy can vary, with prime sources being electricity, people and residual energy left in public or highly trafficked spaces.
3. Ghosts cannot pick up things. Under duress, in an emotionally charged situation, or in a group they can move things.
Yes, they can move things by pushing and shifting energy. To pick up and move from one place or another, this takes an incredible amount of energy, which most Spirits, will not waste, have or be able to gather. But, if something is ‘placed’ in your path by Spirit - this is no coincidence, as it may have been pushed, blown, dropped, nudged or moved by sliding action, to the new location.
4. Ghosts can affect the temperature of small areas, creating hot spots or cold spots. A good indicator is when the thermostat in a room quickly drops for no reason.
Yes. An indication that energy has been added or removed from a container is a change in temperature. This is due to decreasing or increasing friction within the density of the molecules in the area.
5. Ghosts can affect electrical currents, i.e. computers, lights, phones and other household electrical devices.
Yes. Ghosts (or Spirits) are free form energy molecules, just like all of everything, which has some degree of a complex molecular structure. In gaseous form, those in Spirit are less visible than people, but just your personal electrical charge (think static build up, as a clear example) can impact lights and devices, as can a Spirit’s.
6. Most children when they are very young can see ghosts.
Yes, I’ve posted in depth about this here.
7. Most earthbound spirits appear wearing the clothes they were wearing when they died.
Earthbound Spirits, yes. Especially those who are unaware they have died. Also, many Spirit will also appear in the known clothing style that their Loved Ones can identify them by. For example, if your father was known to wear hunting clothes, even when he wasn’t out hunting, he’ll definitely be wearing that as a Spirit. Crossed-over Spirits, who have fully transitioned into the Light, change into wearing all types of thing, but usually a favorite or most comfortable outfit for them.
Why? Just in case anyone he knows sees him, they’ll be able to spot in out in a crowd!
8. Ghosts may manipulate objects that were on their person when they died, but the objects are insubstantial and can't be shared with the living.
They can, yes. But they can also manipulate objects, especially electronic ones, that were not on their person upon death and perhaps, simply objects that are in the home of the person whose attention they wish to grab.
9. Ghosts go into the Light shortly after their issues are resolved.
Almost instantly. Most of them, just need to be reassured they there is a Light, that they can access it, that it’ll be safe and they’ll have friends there, and sometimes, reminded that they are in, fact deceased. Learn more about the crossing over process in this post.
10. Ghosts do not cast shadows -- unless they are a 'shadow' from the world of the dead.
True. But, most mediums who see Spirit with their eyes see them in varying shades of translucency, including lighter and darker shades. In other words, sometimes Spirit can appear as a shadow out of the corner of your eye. Though they do not cast them, as they do not reflect or block the flow of Light, because their form is not dense enough for that.
11. Ghosts can see other ghosts.
Yes, for the most part. Some Earthbound Spirits don’t realize they are dead yet, and refuse to associate with or admit to seeing other Spirits, in denial of their own situation. Kind of like if you don’t want to believe something, you refuse to look.
12. Most ghosts, like vampires, are not reflected in mirrors or windows. (Ghosts like Bloody Mary are an exception because their aura is tied to reflections.)
13. Ghosts can touch each other.
I don’t see why not.
14. Ghosts have the ability to pass through solid objects.
Yes. Without a physical body, their movement is not limited by physical world restrictions, such as walls or doors.
15. New spirits are on a learning curve with their ghost powers.
Yes - I’ve written a whole article on this before, check it out, here.
16. Ghosts can attend their own funerals and many do!
Yes, Spirits can attend their own funerals in the 3-7 day crossing over window, which is the period of time all of us are given to say goodbye, tie up loose ends and come to terms with our crossing, before we fully have to move into the Light. This period of time is a hot spot for visitations from your Loved Ones, especially if you didn’t get to say goodbye.
17. Ghosts can inflict physical harm on the living without realizing they are doing so.
Yes, unfortunately this can be true. Usually, it’s due to complete negligence, not malintent.
18. Ghosts can feel the thoughts of the living.
They can. And they can also hear what you say.
19. To recharge, spirits feed off the energy of the living. Ghosts can recharge their energy by creating chaos with the living.
Yes and No. Many well-meaning Spirits, feed off the unlimited energy of the Divine Light, if they are Light Spirits (aka crossed over). However, if they are not crossed over or choosing to take a darker path, in the absence of Light (aka Energy), they need energy somehow. Emotional energy, created by whipping up some chaos, is one way of doing this. If you don’t want to feed energy to a ghost, don’t give them attention when they show up. Not even fear-based attention.
20. Ghosts can visit and communicate with you in your dreams.
Yes. This is really common. If the ghost who visits you is a deceased loved one, it’s called a visitation dream. If you are visited by ghosts in your dreams, or think you might be, you can tell them to stop by setting boundaries or consciously enhance it through dreamwork.
21. Ghosts can be sneaky and elusive, appearing out of the corner of your eye.
They can appear out of the corner of your eyes, but I wouldn’t call this sneaky. I would call this peripheral vision, and some ghosts don’t even realize you’ve seen them at all, just like you don’t realize that everyone you walk by at a distance may be able to see you. While some may be trying to nonchalantly get your attention by doing this, many are just minding their own business!
22. In the world of the living, a ghost can create an "apport," which is a physical manifestation of something with symbolic significance to the ghost.
I’ve never seen a Spirit do this, so I can’t say either way.
23. Ghosts who stay earthbound are normally scared and confused.
Yes. Many times, when you feel afraid of a Spirit. . . it’s actually you sensing their fear, not them trying to scare you on purpose. Learn more about this here.
24. A person's ghost arises at the location where they died.
Sometimes, but not many Spirits stay at the place where they died. It’s not all that rewarding to hang out in the place of your death. While many of those who have not crossed over, do remain Earthbound, often, they wander off to go find their Loved Ones still on Earth and travel there instead.
25. Ghosts can appear with the wounds and physical manifestations of their death -- although they are not always aware of their deathly appearance.
Yes. Often, they are not even aware. If you see a Spirit this way, and it scares you, tell them what you see, and ask them to change their appearance, to be less threatening. Without a physical body, it’s hard to look in the mirror - sometimes you need someone who can be the mirror for you and make you aware of these things, so that you may change them for the better.
Generally, Spirits who appear with injuries are still in shock from their death or are unaware that they are dead, no matter how many years have passed.
I hope this clears some things up for you ~ stay tuned next week for the debunking and clarifying of Ghost Whisperer’s 26-50 Rules!